Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Nika and Jacki’s review of Soup and Salad

 

We absolutely loved these two dishes and would make them both again.  Our tasters consisted of Me, Nika, Sterling and Isabelle.    We made the soup with the andouille sausage which gave it a nice spicy bite.  The collard greens really added a healthy flavor.   I was afraid I might have mashed the beans a little too much but it turned out just right.  It was very easy to prepare and I didn’t have any problems following the directions.  

We really liked the salad dressing and I don’t usually ever buy red leaf lettuce so that was a nice change too.  I went all out and splurged on the real maple syrup at $6.99 a bottle but it will be used again I am sure.  I think I should have chopped up the thyme a bit more but I have not really used herbs before so now I know.  The salad would also be good with tomatoes and other vegetables added.  I chose to make the soup and salad together but I think in the future I would serve the soup with maybe a fruit salad since there are so many collard greens in the soup already. 

Nika tried out a new recipe she had for Lion House Rolls that we served with the soup and salad and they were really, really good too.  If anyone is interested in that recipe just let her know.

Nika’s comments:  I really liked this meal.  It was like something you would get in a restaurant, lots of layers of flavors, and someone made it for me, hahaha.  Sterling and Isabelle liked it too, even though Sterling was a bit wary of the collard greens at first and Isabelle was trying to use the handle of her fork to cool her mouth off from the heat of the sausage.   I would really recommend trying this recipe.

Nika honing her baking skills and making homemade rolls.  Isabelle also helped her.

  IMG_1489   

Adding the collard greens to the simmering soup.

IMG_1501

Preparing the Thyme to add to the salad dressing.

IMG_1496

Me (Jacki) mixing up the salad dressing (vinaigrette)

IMG_1491

Adding the salad dressing to the chopped red lettuce leaves.

IMG_1502

The finished soup – yuuuuuuumeee!

IMG_1509

The final meal presentation of salad, roll and soup.

IMG_1510

I hope you all enjoy these recipes as much as we did!

3 comments:

Leslee said...

Very nice report. I think that I might have used the reduced sugar syrup which might have given it a too sweet taste, I should try it with the real thing.

didi said...

Love to pictures, Was it hard to find that type of lettuce??

Jacki's travels said...

No, the red leaf lettuce is readily available right next to the romaine lettuce in all stores.