Hi, this is Jacki posting from Nika’s computer since I am here visiting. It was a tough decision for me but I narrowed my choices down to three recipes. I know we usually do two at a time but these three made a yummy sounding meal. I hope you enjoy them.
Pg 176 – Mesquite Burgers with Grilled Onions & Provolone
1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
1 1/2 tsps mesquite seasoning
1 large yellow onion, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 to 6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
4 Kaiser rolls or large hamburger buns
1. Coat an outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the beef and mesquite seasoning, then shape into 4 burgers, each about 1 inch thick. Add the burgers to the hot pan and cook for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium doneness.
3. Meanwhile, season both sides of the onion rounds with salt and pepper. Place the rounds in the pan next to the burgers and cook until golden brown and slightly soft, 3-5 minutes per side. Place the onions on top of the burgers, top with the cheese, and cook for 1 minute, until the cheese melts. Serve immediately on the rolls.
Black Bean & Corn Salad pg. 271
One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
One 14-ounce can corn kernels, drained
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 Tblsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tblsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt and cayenne to taste
In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, bell pepper, cilantro, lime juice, and cumin, tossing to mix. Season with salt and cayenne.
Pg 288 – Frozen Key Lime Pie
One 8-ounce container nondairy whipped topping, thawed slightly
One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
One 9-inch prepared graham cracker pie crust
finely grated lime zest for sprinkling
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the whipped topping, condensed milk, and lime juice until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the graham cracker crust and smooth the surface with a rubber spatula.
2. Set in the freezer until firm, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the lime zest over the top before serving.