Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Turkey Dish

 

I made the turkey dish tonight with several substitutions.  First of all,  I some meat from a rotisserie chicken from costco.  I like to buy one and use it for dinner that night, and then the leftover meat usually serves us for one more dish, plus chicken soup which I make out of the chicken.  Can’t beat that for $5.   I did not have thyme so I omitted it.  I also did not use all of the sour, only 1 cup of reduced fat, I though 1.5 cups seemed like a bit much.  My mom had said that it seemed like there was a lot of broth so I added a little at a time but ended up using a little more than called for.  I cooked the garlic and some onion powder (didn’t have onions, we have been out of town for awhile), added the mushrooms, then added the broth and let it reduce down for a little while to concentrate the flavor and so there wouldn’t be so much.  Then I added the chicken to heat it since it was already cooked and then the peas, took it off the burner, and added the sour cream with some parmesan on top.    It was really good and we all liked it.  Sterling said it reminded him of some sort of      Utah-ish casserole which is right up his alley.  I made homemade egg noodles from a family recipe and that made them nice and tender.    We will have this again I am sure. 

Making the noodles

IMG_8884

Sterling’s plate, he did have more salad than that he just decided to get rid of that first.

 IMG_8887

Max really liked it

 IMG_8888

4 comments:

Leslee said...

Yours looks much less runny than mine. I wonder if the egg noodles absorb some of it. Great job making homemade noodles, I am sure they were delicious!

Jacki's travels said...

Max does look like he enjoyed the meal. The homemade noodles look very good and I was wondering the same as Leslee - maybe the homemade noodles absorbed the liquid better. Anyway, yours looks more appetizing than mine. Thanks for the review and pics.

Nika said...

The noodles may have absorbed it some but I think it was mostly because I let it cook down a bit that a lot of the liquid evaporated.

Audrey said...

What a good idea to make homemade noodles. It has been a long time since I have done that. I also liked your idea to use a rotisserie chicken. I will try that sometime. I like Sam's chickens and I am sure they are like Costco's. Max looks so cute eating.