Friday, December 11, 2009

Recipes for week of Dec. 14th

Anita's Slow Cooker Chili - pgs. 166-167

1 1/4 ground beef
1/4 cup dry red wine (did not use)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 glove garlic minced
One 15 oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
One 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
One 14 oz. can Mexican style stewed tomatoes with jalapeno chile peppers & spices (undrained)
6 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese

Must Have Sides & Toppings
Sour Cream
Diced onion
Diced tomato
Diced avocado
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Warmed tortillas with honey and butter

Combibe all ingredients except for the sides and topping in a medium to large slow cooker and mix well. (Can brown hamburger first in frying pan) Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 6 hours. Serve with sides and toppings.

I used this recipe for our Family Home Evening group and it was WELL recieved by all. I felt the chili recipe was not as "juicy" as I like it so I added some seasoned spaghetti sauce I had frozen or you could add some tomato sauce or tomato juice if you would like. The "must have sides" are a great addition to the chili as are the warmed tortillas. Also served was a lettuce salad and chips and Queso along with a tasty dessert. The salad and dessert were furnished by the other two couples we share Family Home Evening with. This dish can also be made on the stovetop as one is using canned beans, etc. But, the slow cooker method worked out very well, expecially on the cold snowy day we experienced. One could also use fresh fruit instead of a salad. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as WE ALL did.






5 comments:

Heidi said...

Very good! Glad that you got everything up and posted :) We will be trying this recipe next week... Connor doesn't like beans so that could present a problem; but I am sure that Ashley will gobble it down!

Jacki's travels said...

Love the post! All the pictures and everything. Good to know everyone liked it. It sounds good to me. I am looking forward to trying it as it has turned down right chilly here (haha...no pun intended).

Audrey said...

Chili will be a good recipe for us here in Oklahoma, as it has been sooo cold. I am looking forward to trying a different recipe, but I don't know how the beans will go over. I might have to have those on the side, as most of my family doesn't like beans in their chili. The slow cooker is one of my favorite ways to cook. I enjoyed your pictures.

Leslee said...

Looks declicious. I have seen this recipe in the book and have been wanting to try it. It will be nice to have after a cold utah day!

didi said...

Loved your post!!!! It is a perfect recipe for this week since it will be pretty crazy around here with last week of school before winter break, Great Joyce the guys love chili!!!!