Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Jacki’s review of Anita’s Chili

I am proud to announce we BOTH liked this chili!  Rich said as hard as it was for him to admit it, he did like this dish.  He felt it had just the right ratio of beans and meat and the flavor was good too. It isn’t a real tomatoey chili so that is probably another reason he liked it.  I followed the recipe pretty much as directed but made a few minor changes.  I didn’t brown the meat  - just put it in uncooked.  I substituted chicken broth for the red wine because I had some opened that I needed to use up.  I didn’t add the cinnamon because it just didn’t sound good to me in chili.  I added a little onion powder too. Oh, and I used 2 cans of red beans instead of 1 can of black beans and 1 can of red beans.  It was really easy to prepare, especially since I didn’t brown the meat first.  I served it with some cornbread.  I had intentions of making a fruit salad to go with it but for some reason that didn’t happen.  Good, easy recipe- I recommend it.

Ingredients assembled

Jacki's Pics 017

The finished product.

Jacki's Pics 021

4 comments:

Nika said...

We will be trying it out soon. I have read that you should never put raw ground beef in a slow cooker because it doesn't heat up quickly enough to detroy possible ecoli or whatever could be in there. I don't know if you cooked yours in a slow cooker or a pan though. Looks good!

Leslee said...

Looks tasty...I could imagine he would like this one.

Jacki's travels said...

I did cook it in a slow cooker. It is kind of creepy to put that raw ground beef in there and just chop it up, stir it around and leave it. I will let you know if we get sick:) I have always cooked ground beef before putting it in a crockpot so I probably will do that next time. Thanks for the tip.

Leslee said...

Interesting about the raw ground beef. Obviously you can put other kinds of meat in their raw but I guess I have never done it with ground beef.