Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jacki’s Review of Steak and Cobbler

A couple of nights ago I prepared both of the recipes and thought they were  delicious.  Instead of a London broil I used a flat iron steak again and it was as tasty and tender as we could have wanted.  I was going to try and remember to marinate it as Ingrid and some others of you do but I forgot.  It tasted delicious anyway.  I am a “food mixer” when I eat so I really enjoyed having the roasted corn and tomatoes on top.  They made a good combination and a lovely presentation on the plate.  It was so easy to prepare.  The cobbler was more fruit and less cobbler than when I usually make a cobbler but I really liked it.  It was definitely very blueberryish.  The cobbler part was a thin layer.  It took longer to cook than the recipe stated – probably about 50 minutes before I was satisfied with the browning.  It still looked like it wasn’t done under the brown but I took it out of the oven and let it sit for a bit before serving and it was definitely done.  I served it with vanilla ice cream and we both liked it.  Two more recipes that I really enjoyed preparing and eating!
Steak ingredients assembled.

Jacki's Pics 220

Flat Iron Steak sizzling on the grill pan.

Jacki's Pics 222

Plated.

Jacki's Pics 223

Blueberry cobbler before going into oven.  The blueberries were supposed to sink into the batter part but that didn’t happen with mine until it had been cooking in the oven a bit.

Jacki's Pics 225

Oh, so delicious!

Jacki's Pics 226

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Looks good! We aren't trying the steak this week; but I am fixing chicken fried steak tonight for dinner (Kenton's absolute favorite) so I'll fix the dessert after. I am debating using bisquick though.. :)

Jacki's travels said...

You could definitely use bisquick. Rich and Kenton have something in common - he loves chicken fried steak too! I have never fixed it though - He just always orders it at restaurants.

Audrey said...

Your dishes looked very good. I might have to try the blueberries some time. Were the blueberries very tender when they were cooked? I would also like to try and skirt steak like you used, but I never see it in the store. I will have to ask at the meat counter.