Monday, October 1, 2012

Jenny's Honey Plum Soy Chicken

I made the plum chicken for dinner yesterday.  I thought the kitchen smelled so good!

I made a few changes to the recipe.  Instead of using the red wine I used equal parts beef broth and grape juice.  And then I added a splash of apple cider vinegar.  I also used boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of the bone-in thighs.  I thought 20 oz. of soy sauce seemed like a lot too, so I went with a bit less- probably about 15 oz.  And I didn't use the fresh plum slices or green onions.  Okay, so I guess I made more than a few changes to the recipe!

Overall we thought the chicken was really yummy!  As far as cooking instructions I did just what the PW suggested.  The chicken was really tender and had a great flavor throughout.  My kids gobbled it up, which made it a winner in my book.  I liked the Asian flavor of the soy sauce, but next time would maybe use even less soy sauce, or maybe try using a reduced sodium soy sauce.  And I would also like to see how much difference it would make to use all grape juice and no beef broth.  The soy sauce flavor was a bit strong, and you only needed a tiny bit of the sauce on the noodles, but I really liked the fruitiness that came through in the sauce as well.

1 comment:

Leslee said...

Good to hear yours turned out greeat. I need to make it again using less soy sauce and the plum preserves and maybe grape juice instead of apple juice. Thanks for the review.