Monday, November 12, 2012

Jacki’s Roasted Cauliflower and Citrus Butter Cookies

I am trying to catch up on some past recipes so yesterday I made the roasted cauliflower to go with dinner and the citrus butter cookies for dessert. 
The roasted cauliflower was pretty easy except it took way more time to cook in the oven than the 15 or 20 minutes Ree suggested.  After 30 or more minutes I took the pan out of the oven and cooked it in the microwave for 4 minutes.   I guess I should have broken the cauliflower into smaller chunks for faster cooking.  The bread crumb topping was good but it made a  lot.  I also decided to add parmesan cheese to it after I had already measured out the panko crumbs but didn’t add extra butter so it seemed a bit dry to me but all in all it was really good and tasty.  I would make it again but I wouldn’t add as much bread crumb mixture and I would cook it longer than 5 minutes once the crumb topping was on.  (didn’t brown enough after 5 minutes).
The citrus butter cookies were interesting to make and very tasty but also very rich and sweet.  The recipe didn’t call for any baking soda so I was interested to see how they turned out.  Mine were a little flat but not bad – probably needed a smidge more flour.  I was totally incapable of making nice lines across the cookie with the icing so I just ended up frosting them all over the top with it.  I didn’t add the raw egg white to the frosting – just didn’t seem quite right. In my recipe book there was an error - they list “2 large eggs” twice.  I halved the recipe for the cookies and only made 1/3 of the icing recipe.  There was still too much icing so I could have only made 1/4th of the recipe and had plenty.   Very flavorful cookie and something different. 
I am planning on making the (virgin) Blood Mary drink today so stay tuned. 

 Jacki's Pics 032

Jacki's Pics 033

No comments: