Friday, January 17, 2014

Jacki's Gyro Burger Pitas

I made these for dinner a few nights ago and we both thought they were pretty good.  First I made the Tzatziki so it could chill in the fridge and the flavors could blend.  I thought it had a good flavor - be sure to add a little salt and pepper. For the filling I used ground venison instead of lamb.  I shaped the patties quite thin and in oblong shape. I omitted the rosemary.  I just cooked them in a frying pan.  I used small round flatbread from Trader Joes.  The flavors were all really good.  Having said all that, I would not shape the meat into patties next time.  It just seemed like the meat should be loose like in tacos or thin strips like fajita or the gyros you buy at restaurants.  I would like to try the recipe again using the thin strips of meat (lamb or beef) and use the spices and herbs as a marinade or rub for the meat. Something easy and different for dinner.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Good ideas! I think the beef version would go over better in our home :)