Saturday, January 11, 2014

Jacki's Review of her version of Sunday Beef Stew

I made this last night for dinner.  I know, I know, it wasn't Sunday but I changed the recipe enough that I felt I could make it on a Friday:)  My husband is not a fan of tomatoey foods and I knew he wouldn't like this recipe as written so I made a few changes.  I omitted  the V8 juice, tomato soup, water, and beef bouillon cubes and replaced it with 4 cups of beef broth. I also cooked it in my slow cooker on high for 6 hours instead of in the oven.  It made this recipe super easy and fast for a stew.   I just plopped the stew meat in uncooked, added the potatoes and carrots.  I did saute up the onion and celery together before adding. I  added the dried basil, pepper and a little salt.  I poured the beef broth over it all and let er cook.  I added about 1/4 cup of flour mixed with water the last 30 minutes to thicken it up a bit.  I loved the fresh taste of this stew and will make it again but next time I might add a bay leaf and a little less broth or else more of the vegetables.  I do like tomato based foods so I really hope someone makes the recipe as written and reviews it here so I can see how you liked it.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

It looks really good! Nice to know taking out the tomatoes tastes good also.