Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tarin's Puffed French Toast & Syrup

We loved these recipes! They were both easy and delicious. Just a few comments:

The syrup was definitely worth it. I was really concerned when I started making this because I couldn't see how this:

Would turn into this...

But somehow it did :) It did take longer than 7-9 minutes and then if you really want that thick syrup texture you need to really wait for it to cool. But everyone agreed that it was so much better than store bought syrup.

For the puffed french toast, if you try to fry these at 375 for 3-5 minutes on each side you will be eating burnt french toast. I fried them at about 350ish for 30-40 seconds on each side and they were perfect. Crispy and brown without the burnt flavor!

Here's the batter for your bread...it reminded me of a thin pancake batter.

Heating up the oil.

And frying up the toast. I would also recommend for those of you who haven't done a lot of frying to make sure not to try and overstuff your pan with the bread slices. They cook quicker, more evenly, and are easier to flip when it isn't packed.


And the completed dish. My brother Jack (14) said that this was the best french toast in the world. Score!

2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Thanks for the review and suggestions. Everything looks delicious. I have been out of town for a couple of weeks so I am way behind on my cooking and posting. Looking forward to trying these recipes and the others I have missed.

Leslee said...

Yours look just like the picture in the book Tarin!