Sunday, September 1, 2013

Audrey's Oven-Roasted Barbecue Brisket




I think my pictures speak for themselves.... I followed the recipe, but used an 8lb. brisket as that is the smallest that I could find.  Very easy to get ready and into the oven.  I used a sturdy disposable foil pan, so that I could just toss it afterwards, which worked great! I did cook it the day before we were going to eat it.  Once it cooled I did take off the fat and poured the beef liquid into a couple of containers without separating the fat.  It worked really good doing that, as the next day the fat had all risen to the top of my containers and I could just scrape it off, nice :)  The next day a couple of hours before dinner, I got the sauce started.  Lots of  ingredients, but I had all of them ;)  Once it was simmering, I sliced up the meat and then got it in the oven with the sauce on it.  The recipe didn't specify the oven temp or whether to put the foil back on, so I started my temp at 275, like we cooked it at the day before, but ended up increasing my temp to 300.  That was fine.  I also covered it for the hour and then I took the foil off and let cook like that for about 15 minutes.  That all worked fine for me.  We used medium sized flat rolls and toasted them in a skillet with a little butter and then put the meat mixture and some of us put a slice of cheese on our sandwich.  We all thought that the brisket had really good flavor.  Some found it a bit rich, but very tasty.  I served it with coleslaw and chips.  I think this would be great to fix for a group get together.  I also think that it would taste good over mashed potatoes like they also suggested.   

1 comment:

Jacki's travels said...

Yum, everything looks very tasty. Thanks for all of the tips in your review. I still need to make this.