Saturday, February 22, 2014

Jacki's Filet Mignon and Tropical Slaw

The other night I made the Filet Mignon paired with the Tropical Slaw from this weeks choice and baked potato.  Excellent!  I must admit I don't think I have ever bought or cooked a Filet Mignon.  I remember we had a neighbor when we lived in Sacramento whose kids would only eat Filet Mignon! Anyway, I shopped around and found some on special (probably for Valentines Day) for $10.99 a pound.  I followed the directions but used the already cooked bacon which turned out just fine.  I also needed to cook it a bit longer in the oven than the recipe called for.  It was seriously a whole new steak eating experience - so soft, tender, and flavorful - I may never go back! (We rarely have steak anyway). The Garlic Herb Butter topped it off nicely. 
The Tropical Slaw was easy to pull together.  I thought it had a very good flavor with the dried mangoes and cranberries.  I used regular vinegar instead of the cider and sunflower seeds instead of the pepitas.  Yum!
I have not made any of the desserts but have my ice cream maker bowl chilling in the freezer right now to make the Mascarpone Ice Cream tomorrow. 

1 comment:

Audrey said...

That meal looks great! Good idea to pair the different recipes together. I'm going to have to fix these recipes soon!