Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Leslee’s Tacos and Rice

Mmm this was one tasty meal! I made a few changes to both recipes to fit our likes and the available ingredients but they turned out great. 

For the pork I decided to use a pork roast and cook it in the crock pot.  The recipe looked very good but I am not a huge fan of chunked meat in tacos and prefer shredded so that is what I did.  Summer and I had gone to the store in the morning to get the supplies, including the chipotle chilies.  After I got home and started dumping things in the crock pot I noticed that the chilies had wheat flour in them so I couldn’t use them.  Because I didn’t want to go to the store again I added some brown sugar to make it sweeter along with the spices called for.   I also used a bigger can of tomatoes instead of the sauce since it was going to be cooking for a while.  Later Sean went to the store for me and found a different kind of chipotle chilies and we added some in after the pork was shredded up.  Sorry for the long story on that recipe!

I usually don’t cook with instant rice so I used regular white rice and cooked everything in the rice cooker.  For some reason I kept thinking I needed tomato paste instead of sauce (not sure why) so in the end I mixed some of the paste with a little water.  I used frozen corn and just one can of black beans.  I also added in some extra water.  It took a while for the rice to cook all the way and after the cooker thought it was done I added a bit more water and cooked it for longer. 

Sean ate his taco style with corn tortillas:

IMG_4770

I ate mine like a salad with chips:

IMG_4776

We both really liked it and would definitely make it again.  I often make sweet pork in the crock pot like this but I thought the chipotle chilies added a nice smoky and spicy flavor.  I will probably use these again next time which is good since I have plenty in the freezer to use up! The rice was very tasty…basically Mexican rice. 

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Your pictures looked really good. I plan to try the recipes sometime this week. I think that my family would like both dishes. I also like the idea of using the crockpot.

Jacki's travels said...

Thanks for the post and all of your suggestions. I am looking forward to trying the recipes. Your pictures look very yummy!

Heidi said...

I still haven't decided if we are going to try this one. I think that I would really like them; but my family doesn't do very well with spicy things. Were they very spicy?