Sunday, January 27, 2013

Jacki”s Pots De Creme

I just made this today for dessert and it was absolutely delicious.  But, I am very glad others made it before me and I learned from their experiences.  I ended up making a whole batch of it so I could follow the recipe exactly even though we certainly don’t need all that chocolate around here because I am the one who will end up eating it.  Audrey texted me and said she had made the recipe but used half and half instead of the coffee.  She also put her eggs in some warm water to make sure they were not in the least bit chilly.  So, after reading Tarin’s review, getting tips from Audrey and reading reviews on the PW website I got to work!  I brought my eggs to room temp and then put them in a bowl of warm water to be extra cautious.  I dumped the bag of Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate chips in the blender, added the vanilla, pinch of salt and about 2 Tablespoons of sugar to sweeten it up just a bit.  Then I cracked the eggs in and blended it up really well – no pulsing a few times, I just turned it on and let er go.    I didn’t have any half and half so I used 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup 1% milk.  I heated it up in the microwave until boiling and then immediately fed it into the blender in a slow stream and blended it all up.  I was a little worried because I used 4 extra large eggs instead of 4 large ones so I didn’t know if that would mess it up but it was firm shortly after putting it in the fridge so all was well.  It is VERY rich so a small serving is all that is needed ~1/2 cup.  I topped it off with some sweetened whipped cream and enjoyed it thoroughly.  I do have to say though I would still worry about the eggs getting cooked enough with just the hot liquid if I was feeding this to small children or pregnant women.  Maybe good to use the Eggland’s Best eggs?  I just used some from Costco.  Or, cook it in the oven for a bit like the Dorie Greenspan recipe.  Anyway,  thanks so much to Tarin and Audrey for venturing before me and reporting back – very helpful.

After setting in the fridge for about 2 1/2 hours

Jacki's Pics 001

Topped with whipped cream and ready to serve!

Jacki's Pics 002

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Looks great! Glad that it worked out for you :) good idea about little ones & people who are pregnant.