Saturday, December 8, 2012

Tarin's Stew

So I don't know if I've mentioned that my husband loves to hunt so after this hunting season I've got a huge freezer full of bear meat so I was so excited that we had the opportunity to make stew this week.

So I pulled out the meat and seared it on the stove top.


I moved it into the crockpot and added in the beer...okay so I went with the non-alcoholic variety.



I cooked it on low for 7 hours. Right before I served it I pulled it out to thicken it. And then let it cook on high for another 20 minutes. I still wish I had been able to let it thicken for longer.

I was also out of potatoes and I wish that I had put the carrots in sooner. But it was still good. The meat was really moist and tender. I thought it was a pretty good recipe, I didn't think that it was that amazing, but it was still good. Worth doing it again with a couple changes.

2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Thanks for the great review and pics. I am curious - how does bear meat compare to beef or venison regarding taste?

Anonymous said...

Since Doug butchered it himself it's pretty lean and taste wise it is almost just like beef, just a little sweeter and more importantly no gamey aftertaste. I cook it almost the same--just at a lower heat.