Monday, March 2, 2015

Jacki's Menu 32 Review

We have been busy at our house cooking and eating and I must say I have very cooperative tasters who willingly eat whatever is on the menu. Last night (so appropriate that is was a Sunday) we had the Slow Cooker Sunday Dinner Pot Roast, Mandarin Orange Pretzel Salad, and White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake. The Pot Roast was delicious with good flavor of the meat and vegetables. I added everything except the tomatoes. I cooked mine on high instead of low for about 7 1/2 hours and it was perfect. I thickened the juices with cornstarch and added just a little salt for the gravy. 
The Mandarin Orange Pretzel salad was very good too although a little time consuming to make. I halved the recipe. There were a couple of things about the recipe that could have been clearer. First the crushed pretzels. I wasn't sure if it meant measuring the pretzels before or after they were crushed so I went with after crushed and it worked out fine. I just used the rolling pin method to crush but I think a food processor would be better to get a finer crush.  Everyone seemed to enjoy this dish. Good mix of flavors.
The Cheesecake was definitely time consuming but fun to make. And oh, so tasty and very rich. One thing to note is this recipe makes a lot of filling. I bought a regular sized graham cracker crust and still had a lot left over after filling it. I could have cut the recipe in half and had enough. So either buy the biggest graham cracker crust or make your own in a bigger pie pan or plan on poring the extra in another dish and baking it too (which is what I did).
This menu made for a great Fast Sunday after church meal! Lots of tasty food and all good solid recipes. I served some homemade bread and a green salad along with it.




1 comment:

Audrey said...

Everything looked really good! thanks for the tips on the different recipes. We will make sure to remember them when we fix this menu.