Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Audrey's Broccoli Soup & Calzone


As you can see Mother and Dad were at our place for a visit, so I decided that it was a good time to try out the new recipes. I followed the recipe for the Broccoli soup closely, but didn't use as much milk as it called for, since we like our soup somewhat thick. I used fresh broccoli and chicken broth instead of vegetable broth. I didn't have an immersion blender, so I had to blend the mixture in batches, which can get a little tricky since it is a hot liquid. I would highly recommend getting an immersion blender if you can :) Most of us really liked the soup and would fix it again. In fact, we had extra so I froze it in single serving containers for future use. We did sprinkle some grated cheese on top of the soup before eating and we really liked that. It was a pretty easy recipe. I thought that this was a good recipe and would fix it again. It is a very filling soup. We had it another time and we had grilled cheese sandwiches with it, which tasted real good.

I did make some changes with the Calzone. We aren't fans of Ricotta cheese, so Mother and I decided to go with cottage cheese, which we all like :) We couldn't find fresh or frozen pizza, so we got the refrigerated in a can, which worked just fine. We tried several different ingredients: pepperoni, spinach and cheese mixture; pepperoni and cheese mixture; spinach and cheese mixture. I think that the favorite was the original spinach and cheese mixture. We also felt that it needed some pizza sauce, so we heated that up and used it for dipping. We all really liked the Calzone and I would definitely fix it again. There are so many different ingredients that could be used. Thanks for the good choice on recipes :)


1 comment:

Jacki's travels said...

Your meal looks tasty. I have not made the soup yet but I enjoyed the calzone too. Your table setting looked very festive. It is always fun to try these recipes when someone else is visiting or vice versa for more feedback.