Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Three Onion Soup with Smothered Toast

MMmm this was a tasty meal! I was quite skeptical since there were so many onions in this soup and nothing else really, but it was very good! I had never used leaks before and our store only had these huge ones… (at least they were organic:)

IMG_6672I cooked everything as directed on the stovetop.

 

IMG_6678

For my own toast I decided to make some “Hearty Whole Grain Bread.” It is quite hearty has the name suggests and went perfect in the soup.  Sean decided to not try the gluten free bread and just used some regular wheat bread. 

IMG_6671

None of are bowls said they were oven or broiler safe so I just put the toast bread in the oven with cheese on top and broiled that and then added it to the bowls.  We used pepper jack cheese to add a little zip. 

IMG_6685

Sean and I both really enjoyed this soup.  It was so easy to make and rather healthy too!

2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

We had the soup last night - we need to post about it. It was really tasty and I really liked the toast bread with cheese on top. Your hearty grain gluten free bread sounds delish.

didi said...

I love cooking with leaks, they are so tasty, everything looks so good can't wait to try it =;)