Saturday, November 2, 2013

Rutter Kitchen- Swedish Meatballs & Apple-Pear-Cranberry Crisp

 Combining meatball ingredients
 Ready to broil
 Sauce ready for the meatballs
 Ready to serve
 Ready to bake
 Fresh out of the oven
 Dinner is served!
Dessert time :)
 
Ashley and I followed the recipe for the Swedish Meatballs and it went really well.  We did add the optional cream and also added more beef broth as it got a little thick.  I think we needed even more though.  The meatballs and gravy had good flavor and we served them over the big egg noodles.  I thought it tasted very similar to beef stroganoff, so if you like that dish you should like this recipe.  We had cranberry sauce and peas on the side and that tasted good.  For the Crisp we used the five granny smith apples, a mixture of different kinds of pears and the cranberries.  It was pretty simple to put together.  Slicing the fruit took the longest in prep time.  Even though it called for a 9 x 13 dish, I wanted to use an oval dish that I had because it had a glass top we could use.  It was deeper and so as a result the crisp took a long time to cook ;(  I think it took as least 1  1/2 hours.  I had to cut some foil and cover the top of the dish partway though as the topping was getting too brown.  I would recommend sticking with the size of pan that they suggest!  It does make quite a bit, so I would probably half it if I make it again for our family.  We liked both dishes, but I probably won't make the Swedish Meatballs again, as we don't eat a lot of that kind of food.  It was fun to try though :)  We did like the crisp, so we might do that again. 

1 comment:

Jacki's travels said...

Your food all plated up looks so pretty! I liked both of these recipes.