Saturday, November 15, 2014

Rutter Kitchen- Menu #33

We started out by trimming up the chicken breasts and cutting them into strips.  I then put them into ziplock bags with the buttermilk.  I did that the morning of our cooking night.  I also pre cooked the macaroni, so that would make it a little quicker to put the salad together.  That night, Dana mixed up the cookie dough and she followed the recipe except she used butter flavored Crisco in place of the butter.  She said that it was pretty simple to put together.  She then set that aside to bake later.  Ashley & Dana started on the Oven-Fried Chicken.  They each mixed up the seasoning mix (We tripled the recipe) and then prepared the baking dishes and got the pans with the chicken in the oven.  Very simple, but I do think that you could use less butter and use some canola oil in its place.  I also thought that they might have specified the size of the chicken strip that you should cut to go with the cooking time.  It was not a real problem, but I think that it would have been a help.  Next we worked on the BBQ Macaroni Salad.  I had prepped the veggies and Ashley got all of the ingredients mixed up in the bowl.  We only used about half the amount of red pepper and onions and we also used sharp cheddar cheese instead of the Colby jack cheese.  After the chicken was finished we baked a batch of the cookies.  We liked the chicken, its very similar to a recipe that I already fix.  Our guys do prefer the thighs, but the gals liked the chicken breast :)  The pasta salad was different since it had the barbecue sauce and the shredded carrots in it.  Some liked it and some didn't.  I would prefer no barbecue sauce in it myself and no carrots, but I liked the rest of the ingredients.  The cookie dough was a big hit! We actually liked that better than the cookies, though the cookies were very good ;) It's a good recipe for those who are not big on chocolate.  I think that I would have preferred regular chocolate chips in place of the butterscotch as the butterscotch are really sweet.  This was a fun menu to try and I think we'll fix these again, but might make a few changes.  Good menu pick Kelsey :)  


1 comment:

Jacki's travels said...

Everything looks really good! It was a fun meal to try.