Sunday, November 23, 2014

Rutter Kitchen- Menu # 6

Ashley, Dana and I were all able to get together to cook this menu.  I bought a couple of rotisserie chickens from the store and got the meat pulled off and chopped up and then into the marinade that morning.  That evening we started our cooking.  Dana baked the yellow cake following the boxes directions and then mixed the ingredients to pour over the cake after it was done baking.  It smelled so good!  I couldn't find cream of coconut in the store, so after some researching on line by Dana and me, we used a can of coconut milk and she put it in the fridge for most of the day to separate the liquid from the solids.  She then poured off the liquids and used what was left for the cream of coconut.  That worked just great.  She went ahead and mixed up the cream and powdered sugar and we stored it in the fridge till we were ready to eat the cake.  While Dana was fixing the cake, I started on the enchiladas and got the meat drained and some of the other stuff organized.  Dana and Ashley assembled the enchiladas and got them baking.  We doubled our recipe, so that people could have leftovers to take home.  It was pretty easy to fix.  While the enchiladas were baking, Ashley assembled the Easy Mexican Salsa Rice and started it cooking in the microwave.  I  agree with Jacki on that it took a lot longer to cook than what the recipe said.  We finally put a lid on the dish and kept cooking it till it was done ;(




 We used a package of enchilada sauce and some really liked it, but I found it just a bit too strong.  I'd like to try it with something milder.  I also like Leslee's idea of cooking it in the crockpot.  After eating our dinner, Ashley put the rest of the ingredients on the cake.  It was delicious! Now for our reviews of the recipes.  We all tried the Honey-Lime Chicken Enchiladas, but found them too sweet.  I must have added too much honey since I haven't seen anybody's review saying they found them too sweet.  I did measure out the honey, so I find that strange.  I ended up having to give our dogs the leftovers ;(  We liked the rice once we got it cooked and the cake was delicious:)  These were fun recipes to try.  Good menu pick Jacki!

1 comment:

Jacki's travels said...

Richard commented on the sweetness of the enchiladas but he thought they were ok. Sounds like you all had a fun time making the meal!