Sunday, August 25, 2013

Jenny's BBQ Brisket and Key Lime Trifle




A few days ago I made the BBQ Brisket and the Key Lime Trifle.  They were both really yummy!

I did the BBQ Brisket just as the directions said.  I cooked it the day before and then made the sauce and reheated the meat the next day.  I don't always love BBQ sauce.  I don't like it if it's on the thick side and super sweet.  But this was a runnier sauce and not overly sweet so I thought it was really good.  I could even stand to have it a bit more spicy, but since I was making dinner for another family and I also wanted my kids to eat it, I didn't dare add more spice.  I don't know if my husband was super starving that night or what, but he said it was one of the best briskets he ever had!  I wondered about cooking the brisket with no liquid to begin with, but it turned out so moist and tender and there was quite a huge amount of drippings in the pan.  The brisket sliced up so nicely the next day.  I was very pleased with the outcome.  I did use yellow mustard instead of dijon.  I don't love the flavor of dijon and was worried it would be too strong.

I only made enough of the trifle to take to the other family, and so I just had a tiny taste of the lime part.  It was delish!  Yum!!  It is very, very similar (almost the exact same) as the recipe for Paula Deen's banana pudding, which is also delightful.  For whatever reason our Kroger's was completely out of heavy cream and I wasn't about to go to another store, so I just used cool whip in its place.  I also decided not to put the coconut in it in case they didn't like it.

I would make both of these recipes again for sure :)

2 comments:

Leslee said...

Looks like a great meal! I have it on the menu for this week!

Jacki's travels said...

Thanks, Jenny. The recipes look and sound delicious. Looking forward to trying them.