Sunday, August 18, 2013

Rutter Kitchen-Grilled Coconut-Lime Skewers, Peanut Dipping Sauce & Mango Rice




We started out by marinating our meat that morning.  I bought chicken breasts and shrimp to use.  We weren't sure if everyone would like the taste of the coconut milk, so we marinated a batch of the chicken in teriyaki sauce and a batch of chicken and shrimp in the recipe marinade.  That night, Ashley cooked up all the meat and  shrimp skewers which took awhile, but she stuck with it ;) I worked on the Mango Rice which was not difficult as it mostly just involved a bit of chopping and simmering.  Dana fixed the Peanut Dipping Sauce and that was also pretty simple.  I followed the recipe for the marinade and we marinated the meat for about 8 hrs.  We used a grill pan on the stove top, so it did take awhile to get all of the skewers cooked.  We compared the two varieties of the chicken and we did prefer the one with the teriyaki marinade.  We didn't find the recipe marinade very flavorful, so that was a surprise.  I'm interested to see other reviews on the marinade to see what all of you think of it.  Maybe we did something wrong.  The meat all got eaten though ;)  We all liked the Peanut Dipping Sauce.  Very tasty and not too peanutty! We wanted to make the Thai Spring Rolls also, but I couldn't find the rice paper wraps at my two grocery stores.  We'll keep looking though, as they looked very tasty.  I followed the recipe for the Mango Rice.  I used cilantro instead of parsley and that tasted good. I forgot green onions at the store so we didn't have those.  I thought that the rice tasted good, but I was surprised that it wasn't a stronger flavor.  Maybe the green onions would have helped with that.  It was fun to try the different recipes, but we they are probably not ones that we will cook again.... 

1 comment:

Jacki's travels said...

I really liked this meal and I thought the dipping sauce was so tasty.