Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Rutter Kitchen-Fresh Tomato-Basil Pasta & Baked Zucchini Fries





It was my turn this week to pick the recipes, so I thought that we should use produce that was available this time of the year.  For the pasta sauce we used fresh peeled diced tomatoes. After thinking about it for a bit, we also ran them through the food processor, since we prefer that texture over the chunks of tomatoes.  It was a good choice for us we discovered. We followed the recipe except used thin spaghetti pasta instead of the angel hair pasta.  I will say that it took awhile to cook the sauce down so that it was thick enough.  I think that if you wanted to, you could use canned diced tomatoes, if you didn't want to mess with the fresh.  I fixed the meatballs from our cookbook authors previous cookbook, as our guys like a little meat with their meal ;)  We forgot to add the fresh basil at the end.  We'll just have to cook it again and try it :)  Ashley and Dana fixed the Zucchini fries and they followed the recipe, except we couldn't find any crumbly Parmesan cheese, so we just had to shred our Parmesan up real fine and that worked.  The fries were pretty simple to make and we liked the fact that they were baked and not fried.  Both recipes were a hit with everyone, so we will definitely be making them again!

2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

I really liked the pasta sauce too. I am way behind on posting but I will get it done soon

Jacki's travels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.