Friday, April 22, 2011

Jacki’s Beans and Cornbread

I made both of these recipes awhile back.  The cornbread I made several months ago and the beans a few weeks ago but I didn’t take pictures so I will just do a quick review from what I can remember.    I didn’t care for the cornbread because it wasn’t sweet at all but probably more authentic.  I also used a very fine ground cornmeal and I prefer one that is not as fine.  I also just cooked it in the oven in a pyrex pan instead of a skillet.  I will probably try the recipe again and add sugar.  I liked the beans but I made a few additions to the recipe.  I halved the recipe and put the beans in water and brought them to a boil for two minutes then I transferred them to the crockpot for the day.  I used the bacon but also cut up an onion and tossed that in as well as a sprinkle of oregano.  Towards the end of cooking I added some chicken bouillon granules and it was really good – plain and delicious.  I had planned to make both of these recipes again this week and take pictures to post but it just didn’t happen.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Thanks for your review of the beans & cornbread. I made both tonight for dinner & was glad to have read yours & Leslee's comments before my cooking. I ended up using different beans & changing the cornbread recipe. I will try & get my review posted soon :)