Sunday, April 3, 2011

Jacki’s Review of Perfect Pot Roast

I made this recipe for dinner tonight and it was simply delicious.  I used a boneless chuck roast that was  1.80 pounds since there is only two of us.  I didn’t have regular, unpeeled carrots so I used the baby carrots and I omitted the thyme and rosemary sprigs because I didn’t have any fresh.  I used beef broth instead of the stock.  I didn’t have a Dutch oven type pan that I could do all the browning and then baking in so I just used a skillet to brown and then transferred it all to a glass pyrex dish and covered it tightly with foil.  I let it cook at the 275 degrees for about 4 hours and it was perfect.  I think I would use a little less broth though – didn’t need it all and less would concentrate down a little more although it was very good as it was.  I baked some red potatoes on the side and served it with steamed corn and a tossed green salad.  It was a refreshing change from the standard Lipton onion soup mix I usually always use.  I think the fresh herb sprigs would give it a nice flavor as well – maybe I will try that next time. 

Jacki's Pics 148

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I am fixing this tonight for dinner, I did get the herbs so we'll see how it turns out! Thanks for the review!

Audrey said...

I'm also fixing it for dinner tonight :). I want to do it before our warm days this week. Good ideas on different pans to use. I also usually do the Lipton onion soup mix in the crockpot, so we will see how we like this. Your meal looked real good!