Friday, May 3, 2013

Jacki’s Chicken Tortilla Soup and Lemon Blueberry Pancakes

I made both of the recipes this week and thought they were delicious.  It was a cold and rainy day earlier this week so the soup was perfect.  I did make a few changes though.  I cut the recipe in half  but used the whole can of Rotel so it was nice and spicy.  I didn’t have any bell peppers so I just omitted them.  I added a can of hominy because I wanted the soup to be thick and hearty.  It was so good and flavorful.  I liked the cornmeal thickening and the corn tortilla strips in it.  I topped the soup with chopped cilantro and diced avocado – perfect! 

Jacki's Pics 104

Last night I made the Lemon Blueberry Pancakes.  I don’t know if it was because I was really hungry or what but I thought these were soooo good and I am not a big pancake person.  My husband even liked them and that is saying something :).  I made my own cake flour by measuring out 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, taking out three tablespoons of it and replacing with 3 tablespoons of cornstarch.  Then I sifted the mixture 5 times.  (thanks, Google).  I didn’t have any evaporated milk so I used 2%. I also used frozen blueberries.  I didn’t thaw them out – just dumped them in frozen.  So good!!

Jacki's Pics 105

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Nice idea about adding the hominy. We didn't do the corn tortilla strips, but added broken up tortilla chips. It was a very tasty soup! Thanks for the heads up about the cake flour. I haven't made the pancakes yet, but plan to in the next week.