Sunday, February 8, 2015

Jacki's Review of Menu 19

I am back home after my wonderful Iowa visit and cooked this menu yesterday. As usual my parents came over and helped critique the fixings. It was all a success! The Creamed Corn was really tasty. I used the petite sweet frozen corn so it was extra yummy. (More expensive but so worth it)  I followed the recipe as directed except my corn bags were 16 oz each instead of 20. NBD. Be sure to start this early on the stove because it takes awhile to bring it to a boil since the corn was frozen. 
The Crunchy Black Bean Tacos were equally as yummy. I substituted sweet onion for red since I already had plenty but followed recipe for the rest. I was able to cook 3 at a time in my fry pan and then place them in heated oven to keep warm while cooking more.  I made a note to add a little salt to the bean mixture the next time I make these.  Leslee made these while I was at her house so I had a heads up on how tasty they are. I served with toppings of shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado, salsa, and sour cream.
The Gooey Lemon Bars were also very good. I didn't have any yellow food coloring so the frosting is white in the pic. But our extra rich home grown eggs provided plenty of yellow for the filling:) I halved the recipe and it took about 23 minutes to cook. 
I would definitely make any of these three recipes again.




1 comment:

Audrey said...

Enjoyed the pictures & the meal looks great! Glad that you guys enjoyed the meal.