Friday, July 16, 2010

Jacki’s Review of Quiche

Tonight we had the Salad Bar Quiche with Cheddar & Parmesan
and we both thought it was quite good.  For the vegetables I used red bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and mushrooms.  I chopped the pepper and onion, sliced and quartered the zucchini and sliced the mushrooms and then sauteed them all together in a little olive oil.  I also used the spinach listed in the ingredient list.  From reading the recipe it doesn’t sound like you need to sautee the veggies first but I was just worried they wouldn’t cook all the way. I also probably ended up using about 3 cups of veggies (before they were sauteed) instead of the 2 cups asked for.   The quiche had a good flavor with the oregano and Dijon mustard but you could substitute other spices as well.  I made my own pie crust and  knew it would take longer than 20 minutes to cook it.  I think I ended up cooking the quiche for about 35 to 40 minutes and for part of that time I turned up the temp to 400.  One option for faster cooking would be to precook the crust for about 10 minutes first.  This is a good, versatile recipe as you can vary the vegetables and spices used.  I made some homemade breadsticks and cubed up watermelon to go along with the quiche for our meal.  This was a fun recipe to make – I hope you all will get a chance to try it!

Fresh from the oven.

Jacki's Pics 121

Ready to eat – see, loaded with veggies.

Jacki's Pics 122

No comments: