Thursday, February 24, 2011

Jacki’s Review of Comfort Meatballs

I made this recipe for dinner last night and we all liked it.  The really handy thing about it was that I had all the ingredients on hand except for the ground beef – easily solved by a visit to the grocery store.  The only change I made to the recipe was using regular oats instead of quick cooking because that is what I had.  As I was making/cooking these I started to think it was just too much work but when I tasted the finished product I decided it was worth all the effort.  They actually tasted like meatloaf to us.  I loved the sauce as well.  I did keep a few of the meatballs sauce free but we all preferred them with the sauce.  Our granddaughter, Isabelle, is visiting and she even gobbled them right up.  They were quite tasty served with mashed potatoes and broccoli.  I would make these again.

My little helper, Belle and the cooking process – took awhile to cook all the meatballs.

Jacki's Pics 080

The final product all plated and ready to eat.

Jacki's Pics 081

5 comments:

Audrey said...

What a cute helper :). We liked the meatballs also, at least most of us. I also liked the sauce. I would think that these would be handy to have in the freezer, ready to cook or already cooked. I did like the recipe ingredients also, as I think that I had everything on hand. Did you have to cook them longer since you used the oldfashioned cooking oats?

Jacki's travels said...

No, I just cooked them for the 45 min. My meatballs were red in the middle as well (like Dana mentioned) and I was worried they wouldn't be done but they were done and tasty. I use regular oats in meatloaf and it is fine in that too. I think this would be a very good frozen meal dish - I would make them and cook them just cool and freeze for later use- if I had a big enough freezer but I don't:(

Leslee said...

Good idea to freeze them, maybe I will make some extra. Everybody seems to love these, I can't wait to try them.

Surviving Stay @ Home Momma said...

LOL....Yep, we almost did too. Thanks! Yours look so yummy too, and your little helper is just a doll!!!!

Connie Burrows said...

I have not been doing any cooking recently from the cook book, BUT I do have an idea for one and all. You can bake your meatballs in the oven. Just place them on a cookie sheet, cook for awhile, turn a bit, etc. 350 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes. Very easy and you can freeze them.