Monday, May 30, 2011

Jacki and Nika’s Review of Prune Cake

We made this yesterday for dessert and  all agreed this cake wasn’t good……it was VERY good!   Everyone, even the kids, liked it.  Isabelle woke up this morning and proclaimed she wanted scrambled eggs and a piece of cake for breakfast.  I followed the recipe as directed except I didn’t have any allspice so I substituted just a bit of cloves – maybe 1/8th tsp.  After reading Leslee’s review I cooked the prunes longer – probably about 12 minutes and then mashed them well with a potato masher.  A good alternative for cooking the prunes and mashing is to just buy baby food prunes for those that don’t want any chunks or hassle.  For the icing, I recommend using a saucepan that is big enough to accommodate a frothing, bubbling up mixture because the baking soda causes it to foam up quite a bit.  I used a little smaller saucepan that I thought would be plenty big but I ended up dumping it in the bigger one because it kept boiling over.  I am not sure what the reason for using baking soda in the icing is – tasted plenty delicious though.  We didn’t have any vanilla ice cream but that would be wonderful with the cake.  We did use a little whipped cream and that was tasty too. 

Isabelle was my helper and she was quite intrigued by the sifter – she had never used one before.

Jacki's Pics 266

Yum!   Delicious.

Jacki's Pics 269

1 comment:

Audrey said...

How fun to have Isabelle help :) Glad that you all liked it so well. Good idea about the baby prunes :)