Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Leslee’s Brisket, Grits and Sugar Cookies

Tonight we enjoyed the Brisket and Grits for dinner.  They were AMAZING! I am not sure why but I loved them both! I thought the meat was probably some of the best I have ever eaten.  The grits were a fun change from potatoes or rice and also delicious. 

I made a few changes with the meat.  Beef consume has wheat in it so I just decided to use Beef Stock instead.  I probably used 2 or more cups of it, until the brisket was mostly covered.  I added the rest of the ingredients except liquid smoke and marinated the meat overnight in the crockpot dish things.  Today I cooked the brisket all day on low in the crockpot (about 10 hrs).  There was a lot of fat that I scrapped of it but the rest shredded up nicely.  The meat itself was very tender and moist and the juice made it even better.

I made half the recipe for the grits and followed the directions except used less butter.  I sprinkled more sharp cheddar on top after it was baked.

All in all a delicious meal that we all really liked!

IMG_2254

When I saw Tarin’s review on the sugar cookies I decided to give them a shot to see if my results were the same.  I just made half a batch which was still plenty! Tarin commented on the amount of wet ingredients there were so I put in probably half the oil with the butter and then added an extra tablespoon or so of flour.  This helped the dough to become a good consistency and then I chilled it for several hours in the fridge. The dough was pretty stiff when I put it on the cookie sheet and seemed to hold up pretty well.  Sean and Knox both liked these cookies. PW did mention that they weren’t typical sugar cookies but they seemed okay. 

IMG_2246

2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Your meal looks very tasty! Your grits turned out a little thicker than mine which looks better - maybe less butter helped. I like the cheese on top too. Your cookies look good also. I will keep your suggestions in mind when I make mine.

Audrey said...

I'm glad that you liked both recipes :). We had all three new recipes last night & the briskit was by far the better of the three.