Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sheet Cake



This is Nika posting, even if it does say Jacki at the bottom (she is here too though). In the past the sheet cakes I have had are dry and not that impressive. This one, however, was great. I wanted to give this a try, but since we are right in the middle of packing and moving I didn't have enough butter to do the whole thing so I just made half. That was a good choice because its just me and my mom here so we really don't need all that cake. I have been watching my neighbor's two preschool aged kids in the mornings so we had a full house making this one and even then it still turned out fine with all the "help". The cake was easy to make, except part way through I forgot that I was only making half the recipe, but I got back on track and it turned out just fine. I used the "homemade" buttermilk recipe which I always do since I rarely buy buttermilk and made my cocoa powder scoops nice and big. I cooked the cake in a 9x13 pyrex (since it was only half a batch) for 20 minutes and it was perfect. Then I just poured the icing over the top and topped it with chopped walnuts on one half and chopped toasted pinenuts on the other (just to use up what was in my freezer). I LOVED this cake. It cooked up so nicely and was not dry at all. In the picture it may look like its gooey, but that is just the frosting running over the edge of the cake. Even though it is 7:30 in the morning I just tasted a little more to make sure it was still good and don't worry, it was.



5 comments:

Al and Jenny said...

It looks so pretty with the nuts on top! I might do that next time.

Audrey said...

I'm glad it turned out so well for you. Good to know that you can half the recipe & it still turns out :)

Leslee said...

MM this looks good, I need to give it a try. I think Blogger deleted the other comments that were here.

Audrey said...

Your cake looked very tasty :). I need to post my review. We also really liked it. I'm glad to know that you can half the recipe & it still turns out great! Good luck with your packing!

Surviving Stay @ Home Momma said...

Oh man.....your cake looks amazing!!! I'm really going to have to make that. Though I probably shouldn't, I'll just think about eating them!!!! LOL!!!