Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tarin's take on the "Sugar Cookies"

Okay, let me say that I haven't felt completely let down by this cookbook until now. I love sugar cookies. Everyone loves sugar cookies, these were 1) not sugar cookies and 2) I don't think the dough even counted as a cookie dough based on how it mixed up.

I was really surprised to see so much oil added to the wet ingredients, I wasn't really excited by the flavor of the dough, all it tasted like was canola oil and cream of tartar (the dough is supposed to be the best part!), and I was especially concerned when the batter looked like buttercream frosting--even after sitting in the fridge for 2 hours. I'll I could think was that these cookies were going to melt.



Well needless to say my concerns were valid. This is what I pulled out of the oven 13 minutes later.


Since I had only put one batch in I scooped the rest of the dough into the bowl again and added 3/4-1 cup of flour and tried again.

This attempt held together a little bit better, but I was still really disappointed in the whole thing. They tasted okay, but nothing like I thought they would according to her description or picture. In fact all the oils made them pretty greasy. I guess I'll be sticking with my Martha recipe for sugar cookies from now on.

4 comments:

Leslee said...

That is sad they didn't turn out! It is wierd to put oil in cookies I think too! I guess you can stick with your tried and true recipe now.

Jacki's travels said...

Thanks for your review and comments. Now we all know to change a few things with this recipe.

Audrey said...

Thanks for the input. We made these cookies last night & didn't put much oil in. They were okay, but not as good as I thought they would be :(

Audrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.