Saturday, June 18, 2011

Beans and Cornbread the Brazilian way =;)

Well I had some Carioca beans from Brazil that I needed to use so I cooked them with some amazing ham hock! That thing was huge, I got it a t a German Deli, they make their own sausages, ham and all kinds of stuff so, so good! Anyway I cooked the beans in the crock pot and seasoned with sautéed onions and garlic, I didn’t have any cayenne pepper so I used smoked Hungarian paprika (it has a nice kick but not too spicy) and it was delish. I also had some of the Brazilian corn “cake” mix that I needed to use so our meal was very, very tasty and we had some rice with the leftover beans the next day . The corn bread was gone. I don’t like American corn bread it’s a bit to dry, I think I have to give this recipe a try. Overall a good easy meal but not something I would serve to my family on the regular basis since I always go for the rice anytime we have beans.










4 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Wow, that IS a huge ham hock - plenty for flavor! Your beans and cornbread look very good. Is Hungarian Paprika like Spanish Paprika?

didi said...

Yes it is but most people use the sweet paprika.

Audrey said...

Your beans & cornbread sounded very tasty. I didn't cook the cornbread recipe for us as my family only wants the Jiffy mix brand. It's pretty good :). You can't beat a good ham bone for flavor.

Jacki's travels said...

Yes, Jiffy comes through every time with good cornbread!