Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Jacki’s Review of Pasta and Mocha Brownies

I made both of these recipes on Monday for dinner and we really liked both of them.  The pasta dish was quite easy to prepare especially since I splurged and bought the already peeled and deveined shrimp.  I halved the recipe but I wish I would have made a full batch for more leftovers!  I omitted the wine and used half and half instead of heavy cream.  I omitted the fresh parsley but I did add the fresh basil and loved it.  We liked the shrimp in it but you could easily substitute chicken or sausage or add a generous sprinkling of parmesan for a little protein.   A very tasty and easy recipe.  The Mocha Brownies were also delicious but I felt pretty guilty making them with all the butter, sugar and eggs. Confession time – I love mocha flavored desserts – cupcakes, ice cream, candy etc but I don’t drink coffee.  The mocha frosting just sounded so good so I went through the McDonalds drive through and bought a small cup of coffee to use in the recipe.  I made the full batch of brownies because it said to use an 8’’ square pan and I didn’t want to have to experiment with the cook time if I halved it.  It made a full 8” pan – rose all the way to the top.  I halved the icing because my husband doesn’t like his brownies frosted.  The mocha flavored icing was wonderful but you could easily substitute milk for liquid instead of the coffee.  I thought it was a good “from scratch” recipe although it doesn’t get much better than the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownies from the mix.  Both good recipes for future use.

Jacki's Pics 001

The icing needed just a bit more time chilling in the fridge before I frosted the brownie with it but I just couldn’t wait!

Jacki's Pics 002

1 comment:

Leslee said...

Both things look tasty! Glad you took the easy route on the shrimp...too much work the other way. I am sure your brownies were very tasty with the coffee!