Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Leslee’s Penne and Brownies

I made both of these dishes last night.  The Penne was pretty easy to make and is a great meal for summer since you don’t have to turn on your oven.  I substituted canned chicken and that made it really easy. I didn’t use quite as much of the heavy cream, probably only 1/2 a cup and just added fresh parsley.  This was really good and definitely a recipe I will add to my rotation!

IMG_2606

On to the brownies!  When I first glanced at the ingredient list I assumed it was for a big pan and was surprised it was just for a smaller square pan.  I followed the directions for the brownies and while they were cooking I mixed up the frosting.  I only made half the amount since I didn’t have enough powdered sugar.  I was planning to try some maple extract in there in place of the coffee but the stuff I had was pretty much dried up so I had to skip that part.  Since there wasn’t any extra liquid I just cut back on the powdered sugar a little and the constancy turned out great and the flavor was just chocolate.  Very delicious though! My half batch of frosting thickley covered the brownies.  I thought they were very good and rich! I think they would be great with some mocha flavoring too! I made some substitutions to make them gluten free so they turned out a little crumbly but not too bad.  I do prefer the box taste to these cakey kind but they were really good…I might have to go back for some more right now:)

IMG_2624

3 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Oh wow! - frosted brownies with mint choc chip ice cream - YUM! Good, quick idea to use the canned chicken.

Anonymous said...

Seeing the pasta with the chicken really makes me want to try it now...and I definitely can't wait to try those brownies!

didi said...

Hmmmmmmmm looks delish =;) I will have to wait to cook some of these recipes we are heading out to East Coast and July will be crazy so August is the month to catch up!!!