Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sorbet, Chicken and a Few Others

To start with dessert first, I love this sorbet.  I made it a few weeks ago and really liked it then, but I followed the recipe and I thought that it didn’t really need as much sugar as it called for so I decided to try it again without adding any.  Sterling made the second batch and was skeptical about not adding the sugar but he followed my instructions and it is really good!  The mangos we used were pretty ripe so they were naturally sweet, plus the pineapple in juice is very sweet. 

I love this stuff and that it is a bit of a healthier alternative to ice cream. 

IMG_4245IMG_4250

Last night we had several items from the cookbook.

Here are the potatoes.  I honestly felt like the rosemary kind of ruined them.  I used dry rosemary so I cut the amount way down.  Maybe I am just not a rosemary fan.  The flavor was way too to strong and we couldn’t taste any of the other flavors.  It was just the kids and I and we ended up getting out the ketchup which really helped.  I would just leave the rosemary out next time.

IMG_0648IMG_0649

For the chicken skewers, I used the italian dressing recipe in the cookbook and marinated the chicken and veggies in that.  It is a good salad dressing recipe but I did leave out quite a bit of the sugar and oil.  The whole chicken skewer idea isn’t the most original  but it is a good idea for a dinner if you are having trouble thinking of things.   The man of the house was out and my chicken grilling skills have yet to be perfected so its not exactly a perfect presentation but we all enjoyed it and the kids liked their “meat sticks”.  We also grilled some artichokes for the second time.  I fixed two since Max and I usually each like one and the others don’t care for them, but this time Isabelle and Sam also ate quite a bit.  I love artichokes but have always just steamed them so this is a fun and fancy way to fix them.IMG_4331

1 comment:

Jacki's travels said...

Thanks for your review and suggestions. I am going to make the potatoes and skewers tonight for dinner and maybe the sorbet if my mangoes are ripe enough yet.