Thursday, March 4, 2010

Jacki’s Review of Stuffed Peppers and Fruit Tart

We had the Stuffed Peppers and Fruit Tart last night and I thought they were both delicious.  Rich proclaimed them “ok”.  For the Stuffed Peppers I used red peppers and followed the recipe pretty much as written with a few minor changes.  I didn’t use any olive oil to brown the meat because I used a nonstick pan and it didn’t need it.  I used regular rice (about 1.5 cups cooked) instead of instant rice.  I used almost 2 cups of frozen corn which I cooked up in the microwave first instead of canned because I am not a big fan of canned corn.    I omitted the cilantro because I didn’t have any.  I did cook the red peppers in the microwave first for a few minutes to soften them just a little before stuffing and cooking them in the oven.  It was an easy dish to prepare and the flavor was really good with the rice, meat, beans, corn, and spices and sour cream. 

A yummy blend of textures, flavors and spices with gooey melted cheese on top!

Jacki's Pics 002

Jacki's Pics 003

I followed the recipe for the fruit tart pretty much as directed also with a few minor changes.  I didn’t have a tart pan so I used a pie tin.  I made my own crust because I find it easier than wrangling with the premade- store bought ones.  I used the regular cream cheese and the final product was not thin at all, in fact it was maybe a bit too thick.  I only mixed it up with a fork so I think it would have been lighter if I would have used a mixer to whip some air in.  It was still really good though.  For the fruit I used fresh strawberries and blueberries.  I sprinkled a little sugar on them because I didn’t plan to use the apricot preserves since I didn’t have any and it worked out great although the apricot would have been a nice flavor to add also.  I put a plop of whip cream on top for the fun of it.  We both really enjoyed it although Rich thought the filling part was a little too sweet and we both agreed you could probably add less powdered sugar and it would still be really good.  This would be a good summer time recipe to use with fresh peaches, nectarines, berries etc.

Woah!  Makes you want to dig into the picture with a fork doesn’t it? :)

Jacki's Pics 005

Jacki's Pics 006

3 comments:

Leslee said...

The pie does look very good and I wouldn't mind a piece right now!

Heidi said...

Looks good! Impressive on the fresh fruit being used :)

didi said...

Yeap I agree, I could eat some =;)