Thursday, June 6, 2013

Jenny's Enchiladas, Brazilian Cheese Rolls and Peanut Butter Bars

 On Tuesday I was finally able to make the enchiladas.  I also made the cheese rolls and the peanut butter bars.  It was a busy cooking day!  I had to take dinner to a girl that had had a baby and so I thought it was a good time to make all of these things...as I especially didn't want all of those peanut butter bars in my house!

The enchiladas went together pretty quickly.  I always think they are going to take forever and then don't make them very often, but then it's never that bad :)  I decided to do some with flour tortillas and some with corn tortillas.  I also decided to use cheddar instead of pepper jack to cut down on the spice.  And...actually I was a little short on some of the other spices too.  I need to pay more attention to their recipes when I am getting ready to grocery shop!  They are generous with a lot of their seasonings and I just always assume I have all of the spices I need.  Anyway, I was a little short on the chili powder and the cumin.

It made a ton of filling and I had lots left over.  We really liked the enchiladas!  Even  Avery scarfed one down, which shocked me because she is so picky.  She said they were a little spicy (they weren't IMO with the changes I made) but that she 'loved' them.  Who knew?!  My husband and I both liked the corn tortillas better than the flour tortillas.  The flour ones got a little soggy with the sauce and filling, but that could have just been that type of tortilla I was using.

The peanut butter bars, pictured in between the enchiladas, were good.  As I said, I have made them before using their blog version.  I actually prefer the blog version more.  In the blog they are the exact same except they don't have the oreo layer.  I didn't think the oreo layer really added anything to the dessert.  It was just crumbly and messy and I didn't like the texture.  Without the oreo layer it tastes much more like a Reeses peanut butter cup.  That being said, they were still yummy and nobody turned them away :)
And, our cheese breads.  I used both mini muffin and regular sized ones.  I mixed them by hand since my baby was asleep and I didn't want to wake him with the blender.  I am wondering if I over mixed them though because mine all kind of sunk in the middle.  Or maybe I didn't cook them long enough...?  These weren't my faves.  It was just kind of a texture thing for me.  But my husband thought they were tasty and my kids did too.  I have only had these one other time and it was so long ago I don't really remember whether I liked it or not!  They were just kind of chewy, but that definitely could have been my heavy hand with the whisk!

I'm hoping to get to the chicken this week before my fresh pineapple goes bad!

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Everything looked very good! Glad to know about the peanut butter bars as we are cooking them tonight :)

Jacki's travels said...

Thanks for the review, Jenny. Everything looks great. I haven't made any of the desserts because I need a place to take them so I don't have them around for me to eat! Good to know about the peanut butter bars- they sounds so yummy. Interesting about the Cheese rolls too - I didn't get a chance to try those yet either.

Anonymous said...

The rolls do droop in the center. When you get them at like Tucanos, they are in balls and really little. When I've made them before with a "mix" it was denser but I like the flavor of these ones better.