Thursday, January 7, 2010

Jacki and Leslee's Meal

Last night my mom and I made the meal for ourselves, my dad and Summer. We had most of the ingriedents on hand but earlier in the day we picked up some steak and pre-mashed sweet potoates.  We defintely took the easy way with the potatoes but I have made them in the past and they turn out quite delicious.  Because they were already mashed up with a few things added we just heated them up and mixed in some of the chipotle peppers into half the potatoes.  We chose not to mix in the cilantro. 


We used a different cut of steak but followed the rest of the recipe and cooked them up in a grill pan. It took a while for them to cook through.

We completed the meal with a green salad and some corn.  Everything was very good and everyone liked it.  Summer didn't try the potatoes but enjoyed the steak.  Even my dad said, "I liked it." which was impressive.  I felt that the rub on the steak was a little strong for me but it had a nice flavor.  I do prefer to the homemade mashed sweet potatoes to the ones we got but that wasn't a big deal. 



On to Anita's Impossible Buttermilk Pie.  I mixed up to batches of this.  The first was made following the recipe exactly and poured into a pie tin for my parents.  Next  I made one with a gluten free baking mix instead of the bisquick for me but made it a smaller amount and put it into a smaller pan.  Mine turned out very tasty and moist.  I sprinkled a little powdered sugar as suggested and really enjoyed it.  It would also be good with some cut up fruit on top! Summer gobbled it up and asked for more! My parents' pie didn't quite turn out as well.  It took a very long time to cook (atleast an hour) and it still never firmed up in the middle. My mom reported that the outter part that cooked had a very nice flavor.  I am not sure if I filled the pan up too much or what was the problem. 


I will be trying these recipes again next week with a few minor changes when I get back to Utah for Sean.  I will let you know how they turn out!

1 comment:

didi said...

Hummm It all looks so good!!! I am planning on making this dish tomorrow as well. I am finitely caught up on my house chores. Going on trips is fun but oh boy we had to jump right into our activities and loads of laundry. I definitely have some catching up to do on my cooking. Just got all the ingredients for both weeks that we missed so we will be having Robin’s meals quite a bit this week.

Ingrid