Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 4th-9th Recipes

Sean helped me pick out some might tasty looking recipes for this week. I am excited to give them a try! Our schedule says Claudia will be choosing, but she won't be able to do that this week so we will have her do it in the next few weeks.  If you have not made the recipes from last week I would definitely recommend them, especially the Frozen Key Lime Pie! I know lots of people were traveling or busy last week but we will look forward to some reviews when you get a chance to try them out.

Chili-Rubbed Steak


2 Tbsp of Chili Powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 boneless rib-eye steaks
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. In a shallow dish, combine the chili powder, coriander, salt, and pepper. Add the steaks and turn to coat both sides evenly, pressing the mixture into the meat.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and cook for 3 to 5 minutes perside for medium doneness. Remove from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
 
Mashed Chipotle Sweet Potatoes with Lime


2 Large Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1/4 cup of Sour Cream
2 tsp minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (canned)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Lime, cut into wedges

1. Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and pour over enough water to cover. Set the pan over high heat, bring to a boil, and let boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 8 minutes.
2. Drain and return to the pan. Mash the potatoes with the sour cream and chipotle chiles until almost smooth (or smooth, if that's your preference). Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Serve with the lime wedges on the side.
 
Anita's Impossible Buttermilk Pie


Cooking Spray
1 and 1/3 cups of sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
-Confectioners' sugar and/ or unsweetened cocoa powder (optional) "I like to dust the top with powdered sugar or cocoa".

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
2. Combine the sugar, buttermilk, Bisquick, melted butter, vanilla, and eggs in a blender and process until smooth. Pour into the prepared pie plate and bake until browned and still a little Jiggly (30 to 40 minutes), yeah that's right, I just said until it is still a little JIGGLY, (the pie with set as it cools).
3. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing into wedges. If desired, sift powdered sugar or cocoa (or a combo) over the wedges before serving

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I am excited to try the steaks but I'll have to wait because I am packing up my kitchen tomorrow! :) Look very good though.

Claudia Cutler said...

Hi! I'm sorry that I couldn't cook this week, but when Jacki told me to cook on Sunday the 3rd I thought I had to cook that same day. But now I understand how it works :D. So I'm ready to cook whenever you want.