Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Jacki’s White Bean Chili, Cornbread and Apple Streusel Bars

I made all of these recipes last night for dinner.  The White Bean Chili recipe is very similar to others I have tried.  It was really easy because I used canned chicken – the only work was dicing the onion and opening cans.  It turned out really tasty.  I did end up adding a few drops of Tabasco sauce to kick it up a notch.  I also added a little less broth than the recipe called for.  I thought the addition of the lime juice at the end was very fresh tasting.  The cornbread tasted good and I like it sweet but I prefer a more dense and  rustic texture – more ground corny rather than yellow cake mixy so I will not use the recipe again but it was fun to try it – I will just stick with the Jiffy mix.   The apple streusel bars were very good.  I thought I had almond extract for the icing but didn’t so I used vanilla extract but I definitely think the almond flavor would have been excellent.  I was lazy though and just put the frosting on with a knife instead of squeezing it on with the baggie so it doesn’t look as nice. 

Jacki's Pics 036

Jacki's Pics 037

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Everything looked so good! I have my ingredients, so will be fixing everything in the next couple of days. I like the idea of using canned chicken :)