Monday, May 10, 2010

Gumbo Time

I decided to use fresh Okra for my Gumbo as a result I had to wait a couple of weeks since it was a bit too early in the season and the grocery stores were still waiting to get some in. I am glad to report that it was definitely worth the wait….. I have to say this is the best gumbo recipe I have ever made. I made a few minor changes though. In Brazil when cooking Okra we usually sauté it in olive oil until all the slime is gone before preparing a dish. I highly recommend this method , another method used is to add lime juice (I don’t like doing that because it changes the flavor of the meal but it does work in reducing the sliminess). I also like sautéing the garlic and onion first and browning the chicken before hand. We are not huge fans of cooked celery so I just added 1/2 cup chopped. Everyone enjoyed it very much over steamed rice. Hummmmmmm so goooooooooooood.





2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

I really enjoyed this dish too. Thanks for the tips on cooking with okra and all of your other suggestions. You have such cooperative tasting participants too!

Leslee said...

All your dishes look very nice and tasty! Glad to see all your posts up!