Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shallot-Lemon Butter Chicken and Strawberry Salad

This morning I loaded up the kids and we were finally able to make it to the grocery store to stock up on all the needed supplies to make the recipes for this week, last week, and the ones I am picking for next week! When dinner time rolled around I was a little short on time so I chose two of the recipes that seemed the quickest, the Shallot-Lemon butter flounder and the salad.  As I have mentioned before we aren’t big on seafood so I just used boneless skinless chicken breast and made it nice and thin as suggested in the book.  I cooked it up in the electric skillet and added the buttery mixture for the last few minutes.  I didn’t use quite as much butter as they suggested but it really added to the flavor! All three of us really enjoyed the chicken and the flavor was delicious! I really liked that combination of lemon, butter, shallots, and pepper.  This was so easy to make and I will have to use it again.

When making the strawberry salad I had to make a few substitutions.  Since we are moving soon I don’t want to buy new spices or condiments so I just made did with what we had.  For the strawberry preserves I used some freezer strawberry jam I had, but that might be about the same thing.  I also substituted red wine vinegar for sherry vinegar and honey mustard for the Dijon.  Mine mixed up pretty thick but it had a very nice flavor.  I am usually not a big fan of spinach in salad but this was perfect!

IMG_5965

1 comment:

Jacki's travels said...

Yum! Your meal looks very tasty. My salad dressing was thick too. Some of the salad dressings in the book are pretty thin and they don't cling to the lettuce very well but this recipe was better in that regard. Good idea to try it with chicken.