Sunday, October 3, 2010

Jacki’s Review of Breakfast Potatoes and Bowls

In case you didn’t know it, you all wish you had been at our house tonight to have some of the scrumptious Breakfast bowl/casserole we had!   It was delicious.  I didn’t have any of the little ramekins or ovenproof bowls so I just used a 7 “x9” Pyrex dish instead and it worked out very well.  First off I made the breakfast potatoes and set them aside (I didn’t use any bacon grease because we didn’t have bacon this morning :)  I prepared the other ingredients but omitted the basil because I didn’t have any.  I only used 1/2 of the sausage that was asked for which seemed like plenty to me and I used all sharp cheddar cheese instead of  half Monterey Jack because that is what I had. Oh, and I also threw in some mushrooms I needed to use up.   I wasn’t quite sure how long to cook it but it took way longer than what Ree called for with the little bowls.  I ended up cooking it for almost 50 minutes but that was  longer than needed.  Egg dishes are hard because they continue to set after you take them out but I really dislike runny eggs so I erred on the side of caution.  I just thought the whole dish had a really good flavor with all of the different layers of ingredients.  This would be an easy dish to prepare ahead of time for a special breakfast or brunch – just prepare and keep in refrigerator until time to cook.  Looking forward to other reviews of these recipes.

Before going into oven:

Jacki's Pics 012

Plated and ready for consumption – Yum! – Oh, I made some pumpkin bread with walnuts and a few choc chips – a perfect accompaniment for a rainy, autumn day along with a glass of OJ.

Jacki's Pics 014

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Your dish & pictures looked really good! That's a great idea to just do it all in one dish. We fixed it yesterday ourselves in the little dishes. Your sweet bread sounded like a real good idea :)

didi said...

I think my family will really like this. They love Big Breakfast food!!! I'm more of a protein chake and get going in the morning.
I like the idea of cooking all in one dish, less clean up is always good in my book!