Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Maple Pecan Scones- The Gluten Free Version

This morning I decided to make myself a little treat, so I got to work on these scones. First of all I have never had a English type scone before so I was excited for this little adventure.  To make these gluten free I replaced the flour with an Bob’s Redmill All Purpose Flour Mix and also added in some Xanthan gum (which helps hold things together like the gluten would do).

IMG_7420

I wish I had a pastry blender like Ree used but I just stuck with the old fork method.  Besides that part taking a bit of time, the dough was quite easy to mix up with only a few ingredients.  I was surprised by the amount of baking powder the recipe called for but I guess she knows what she is talking about!

 IMG_7415

IMG_7418

The icing was pretty straight forward to make. Since we don’t drink coffee I didn’t really know what to substitute for it (diet coke? haha just kidding) so I just left it out.  The icing was delicious and was prefect to pair with the more plain flavored scone! The texture of the scone was a little dry and crumbly but I think that was because it didn’t have gluten in it.  I am going to make the regular version for Sean later because he isn’t too thrilled about eating gluten free baked goods. I will let you know how those turn out!

IMG_7423

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Looks tasty! I need to fix these too. Man, I'm falling behind :)

Audrey said...

I need to fix these also. I actually do have all the ingredients, so hopefully, I will get them baked this week :). It's interesting to see what you do to the recipes Leslee, so that you can eat them.

Jacki's travels said...

Your scones look so professional looking - much better than mine!