Monday, October 11, 2010

Nika Reviews Several Recipes

First up… enchiladas.  These were great.  I made them Sunday and kept them in fridge to cook on Monday night.   I used a homemade red enchilada sauce recipe that is basically tomato sauce, chili powder and garlic and water but I substituted chicken broth for the water at my mom’s suggestion.  Did the rest of the recipe the same except I omitted the beef and just used cheese since we were already eating too much red meat that week and I didn’t dip them in the sauce because they were falling apart.  The enchiladas were great and I would make them again for sure.   Everyone liked these. 

IMG_2456

Here are the chicken fried steaks.  I have always wanted to try these since my Dad would often order them in restaurants.  Sterling and I also watched a cowboy cooking demonstration at the international folklife festival in Washington DC a few years ago and had wanted to try to cook these since then.  They were so good!  I even made them again last night when we had some friends over for dinner.    The kids were so excited they just picked them up and started eating!  The potatoes were great too.   I was pleased with how easy it was to make the gravy.   Oh yes, after reading some of your reviews I put my cube steak in a ziploc and and pounded it out a bit thinner with skillet so it would cook faster and it turned out great. 

   IMG_2449 IMG_2450

We had the breakfast bowls for dinner on Thursday night.  These were so good.  I would add extra basil and tomatoes though.  I did end up having to cook them a bit extra.   IMG_2475

1 comment:

Audrey said...

You did great getting all those recipes done in a week! Very impressive. All your meals looked very good. I'm glad that the kids liked them also :). I cooked the breakfast bowls again this past Saturday & I'm going to do the chicken fried steak again also this week.