Saturday, September 22, 2012

Doughnuts

We made the doughnuts for dinner tonight.  Instead of doing the whole overnight method we mixed up the dough, let it rise until it was more than doubled (doesn’t take long here since its so hot) then I rolled them out and cut them into the proper shape using a drinking glass and a the top of a baby bottle.  After that we let them rise for over an hour.  I would have liked to let them go longer but it was getting late and I didn’t want a late bed time.  The oil was hard to keep at a constant temperature with my glass cooktop but all in all they worked out very well.  The dough was very nice and the finished product very tasty.  I think we made about 20 doughnuts plus the holes and had them for dinner with at least half left over for breakfast.   Served with a fruit smoothie and scrambled eggs it made for a nice dinner.   One funny thing though was as everyone started eating I was getting all sorts of compliments.  “I didn’t know you could make real doughnuts” “You are a perfect cook”  “You are the best mommy ever”.  If you need a little ego boost just make these.

IMG_6294IMG_6296

I think you can spot the first two that got a little over cooked!

IMG_6297

2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Your doughnuts look great. Happy to hear they were a real crowd pleaser in your household:)

Leslee said...

Those are some very nice donuts!